Friday, April 13, 2007

Cats, balconies, and safety!




So I promised an article about cats & balconies!

I read somewhere recently that quite a number of urban cat deaths are caused by falls from balconies. And I believe it. From my own previous experience with a cat, they will do all those things you are afraid that they will do- jump & squeeze themselves to the places you do not want them to go- they do it inside, why not do it outside?

Xena- my old cat (pictured above on the balcony-she's unsecured just for this photo- a nervous partner is just beyond my shoulder yelling "hurry!"that has been adopted by a certain lovely couple- she's a great cat, she just has issues, and I'm glad they decided to take her on..) even once escaped to *my neighbors* house. We didn't even know she got out-as our neighbor had to ring us to tell us- so she must have squished herself through the bars and walked across the parapet next door!

Our solution was to harness her & sit out with her when we were outside, as well as being 110% paranoid when the door was open at anytime-a commonly heard phrase was "THE DOOR!!"

Well dear readers, here are 2 great options:

The "Kitty Walk"- $89.00 US- www.drsfostersmith.com

"Each component in the Kittywalk cat run system is made of sturdy, industrial strength fishnet, woven to a metal hoop-shaped wicket. It endures rain or shine - from summer to winter - without rust, rot, or mildew.

Includes ultra-sturdy nylon travel bag and training hints. Excellent for camping or travel. Kittywalk Deck & Patio measures 19" x 24" high x 6' long."

...and I just *had* to include this shot- a cat stroller! I really do like the Doctors Fosters & Smith site- !






Ok- I hear you- what about a Canadian site? Well- I do you one better- a Toronto company: www.thecatsden.net

Here's a video of them by the Weather Network -look at those happy catz! http://www.thecatsden.net/weather-network-video.html

They also do these (if your building allows)
ok so do they install it? From their website -hey sell to all of North America:

"At the moment we are able to install in the Greater Toronto Area, Niagara and Hamilton areas. We will be expanding so that there will be a few installers in each Province and State."

Their website:http://www.thecatsden.net/index.html

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hi there! Love your post! Linked to your posting at my own blog!

Just let me know if you approve!

Emily said...

Happy Birthday Fellow Gemini!

Thanks for your approval and visit! Take care!