Saturday, October 20, 2007

A month- wintersown, and a sign off-for now


Ok I've been feeling guilty about not blogging for so long, but after finally catching up on my blog reading (how I love Sage!) I dont' feel so bad, but I do feel left out in the harvest season, as not much came of the balony, but I do feel proud of my seedlings that were sent else where & the bit of harvesting that allowed me to make salsa! Thanks Gramma!

As I am back in school, I'll be honest- I'm prone to distractions and I've learned that having too many interests can be seriously harmful to my achieving goals, such as graduating. I've even pared down my web board activity (hi to anyone in YGGG- boy I miss it there). As winter is coming that means snowboard season and more sewing time, so I'll allow those two distractions for now.

But before I sign off, I want to direct your gardening compass to a way cheaper method of starting seeds(no grow lights!), especially for those of us with limited space- it's called winter sowing, and the folks over at www.wintersown.org have a fantastic site to help you out- they even offer FREE seeds-(outside of the USA you have to pay $2 for postage, of course).

Now I've been hording all my take out containers for this, and you should too. I'm not sure if I'm actually going to go ahead with it, but we'll see.

Also- if anyone wants info about how to do the balcony drapes, leave me a message-I did make them but for now I'm going to shelve the post.

Thanks for reading. See you- for now ;)

Oh & if you're reading this sat morning & are in Toronto- Foodshare is celebrating their new location opening-, 11 to 3pm, at 90 croatia street (near Dufferin & Bloor)- you should go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fern said...

Hello TBF!
Glad to have found your blog. I've embarked on a project dubbed "Toronto Balconies Bloom" to promote balcony gardening in Toronto.

To rally interested folks, we’re setting up a balcony garden contest for this summer. We're putting out feelers to solicit interest, ideas and support.

Currently, we are two volunteers spearheading this campaign. We’re very excited about the prospect of ‘greening’ Toronto’s balconies by tapping the energy of gardeners across income, age and ethno-cultural groups, and hope that the concept will capture others' imagination as it has ours.

We're looking for anyone interested in taking part in some way, e.g. by contributing ideas on the shape of the project and its development, or by disseminating contest/campaign information as this becomes available, or in another way that one might suggest.

I realize you're awfully busy, despite those winter-itchy green thumbs. Would you be interested in connecting to explore the seeds of possibility?