Thursday, August 16, 2007

The evil SPIDERMITE!


..so I've been vigilantly fighting a new nemisis- SPIDERMITES.


The canadian government has factsheets on stuff like this, btw: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/89-002.htm

At first I thought it was aphids, no problem-had those before, so I started spraying with the ol' soap & water combo, and isolated the worst ones.

Noticed that the peppers weren't affected, but they loved the poor Morning Glories, so I thought I'd leave them nearby...

Weeks go by. More plants are affected. The infected plants become impossible to isolate, adn those that are seem to get worse! Harvest numbers drop in my mind. Start upping my attack.

Finally get around to looking up what my leaves look like ( ooh, instead of like, looking at random articles & pictures like I usually do when I start out with intentions on the 'net)

I have- spider mites!

So I can keep doing what I'm doing, and hope for rain- it's been waaay too dry this year, and apparently SM like it this way.

I have also been considering bringing in some warriors- I need more predators!

i need to get some persimillis, I discover on this site-www.thebugfactory.ca/pages/products/persimilis/
but they are in BC- (you lucky folks!).

So I'm going to call the local hydroponic store, and see what they have.

I'm kind of excited. This will be my first foray into beneficial bug buying.

..and the winds are blowing like it's going to rain soon- hurrah!

No comments: